This class will familiarize you with the natural instincts you and your baby already have so you can have a pleasant and pain-free breastfeeding experience. We will cover all the usual topics, such as:
- the lowdown on milk production
- how to position and latch your baby onto the breast, painlessly
- reading your baby's cues and feeding according to you and your baby's unique rhythm
- how to know your baby is eating well
- preventing engorgement, soreness, and other potential problems (and what to do if any of this happens anyway)
- an eye to the future: how/when to use a pump, storing expressed milk, going back to work, weaning
But most of all we will get comfortable with the reality that breastfeeding is a relationship--one that will develop over time and be unique to you and your baby.
This 2 hour class is offered monthly at AustinBorn (check the calendar for dates), with plenty of time to answer all of your questions. The Prenatal Breastfeeding Class is taught by Stephanie, AustinBorn's Certified Lactation Counselor, and one of the perks of taking her class is ongoing phone/text/email support afterward. Class size is limited to no more than 4 expecting moms, and partners are encouraged to attend. If you can't make it during the scheduled time, don't worry! Stephanie also offers this class privately in your home at a time convenient for you ($25 mileage feeapplies to homes outside Austin). A bound, full-color notebook for handy reference will be yours to keep.
Group Class @AustinBorn: $60
Private, In-Home Class: $95